Process Engineering Manager
The Process Engineering Manager will coordinate all engineering activities within the area of responsibility necessary to produce quality product and meet cost objectives. Responsible for overall management, direction and coordination of the engineering team and leading this team to meet product producibility requirement in support of the production plan. Works to improve overall plant function by working with the manufacturing team through continuous improvement processes. Works closely with the VP of Operations and the General Manager to meet throughput goals, yield objectives, and customer expectations for delivery and quality. Team responsibilities include definition of process requirements and limitations, process instructions, operator instructions, set-up requirements and procedures, process control parameters, standard processing times, and process improvements.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for setting the engineering vision and strategy to meet overall long and short term company goals. This includes definition and communication of goals, key objectives, and metrics
- Ensures that process engineering meets the business needs of the company as they relate to capabilities, processes, technologies, and capacity. Stays current with related manufacturing trends
- Develops and enforces a culture of strong engineering discipline including robust process definition, extensive testing prior to production implementation, robust change management processes, clear and complete manufacturing instructions, statistical process monitoring and control, proactive error proofing, etc
- Leads process improvement teams focused on scrap and rework reduction
- Provides guidance to process engineers in the development of process control plans and the application of advanced quality tools such as D.O.Es, FMEAs and SPC
- Develops and maintains tactical and strategic plans to achieve the proper balance of process development and process maintenance. Ensures metrics are in place to monitor performance against the goals and takes appropriate corrective actions as required
- Ensures that structured problem solving techniques are used and that adequate validation is performed for any issues being address or changes being made
- Develops and validates new processes prior to incorporating into the manufacturing operations
- Develops and maintains an effective engineering organization through the selection, training, development, compensation and performance motivation of all personnel
- Supervises, mentors and provides regular feedback to direct reports in the performance of tasks in their specific department(s)
- Recommends and approves organizational structures and staffing requirements in support of company business objectives
- Works with maintenance manager to create and execute equipment strategy to ensure optimal performance of all key process equipment
- Works with VP of Operations to create and execute new product transition strategy that ensures capable and repeatable processes are in place for new products
- Communicates to General Manager and VP of Operations areas for improvement and the plan to accomplish the necessary improvements
- Complies with laws, company policy and procedures including but not limited to Equal Opportunity Employment, Affirmative Action, Business Ethics, EPA, OSHA and other federal, state and local regulatory agencies
- May handle hazardous waste as outlined in departmental work instructions
- The following RCRA training is required on initial hire and on an annual basis thereafter: Introduction to RCRA, Properties of Facility Waste, Waste Minimization Accumulation, Container Management, and Emergency Response Plan
- Ability to develop plans to meet the producibility and overall yield goals of the factory and lead the engineering team to execute to these plans and achieve yield targets
- Strong customer service orientation required
- Strong communication skills to establish priorities, work schedules, allocate resources, complete required information to customers, support quality system, enforce company policies and procedures and utilize resources to provide the greatest efficiency to meet production objectives
- Strong leader of people with the ability to define goals and inspire the organization to achieve them
- Ability to provide clear, frequent direction to engineers and provide necessary resources to meet production goals
- Demonstrated ability to motivate their team to achieve optimal results. Leverages each member's strengths, and provides recognition of accomplishments to maximize overall results
- Strong structured problem solving skills including the ability to work with the operations to lead the production / engineering team to identify the root cause of issues which prohibit execution of the production plan and address the fundamental cause(s) in a timely fashion
- Knowledge of factory processes including drilling, testing, lamination and bonding
- Strong project management skills. Strong business sense and ability to make good decisions in the light of limited information
- Extensive experience in designing and evaluating, implementing, and improving process control systems designed to minimize errors and detect any problems as early in the process as possible. Understanding of risk management tools and ability to develop and execute mitigation plans as they related to production issues
- Demonstrated ability to set challenging targets for production yield and cycle time and meet them. Ability to adapt to changed dynamic work environment
- Good understanding of the product's operation and key performance parameters, as well as the processes and materials used to manufacture applicable products
- Basic understanding of the customer's application and key performance parameters
- Working knowledge of statistical tools and ability to mentor engineers in establishing robust processes using statistical tools
- Working knowledge of visual factory and visual process controls
- Strong PC Skills including Word, Excel, Powerpoint
Education: Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Master's Degree is preferred.
Experience: 10+ years process engineering experience in an electronics manufacturing environment, including 3 years in the Printed Circuit Board or similar manufacturing environment. 5+ years of process engineering management experience, including 3 years of experience with direct responsibility for meeting production throughput and quality goals. Significant experience defining and utilizing manufacturing systems, data, and metrics to plan and execute production plans. Experience with Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma methodologies is preferred.
Must be eligible to work on defense and satellite programs subject to ITAR Regulations. Therefore, candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident ('Green Card').
Unicircuit is a VEVRAA/Federal Contractor and EEO/AA Employer, including disabled and veterans.